This is a list of categorised resources for the sustainable energy sector
back to the index
Data sets and APIs
- Electric Insights was established by Drax Group to help inform and enlighten the debate on Britain’s electricity.
- EIA the US Energy Information Administration has done a comprehensive survey of commercial buildings with their energy consumption
- ENERGYDATA.INFO is an open data platform providing access to datasets and data analytics that are relevant to the energy sector.
- Elexon meters data harvesting and comparison, balancing and settlement code (BSC), lots and lots of data! They also have an API, check this out link
- Data sets for the US (commercial and residential hourly load profile linked here - link)
- energy consumption UK data set link
- 5.5k households smart meter half hour readings between nov 11 and feb 14
- UK-DALE domestic appliance-level electricity demand and whole-house demand from five UK homes. paper
- REDD: The Reference Energy Disaggregation Data Set at MIT. Paper: A public data set for energy disaggregation research. In proceedings of the SustKDD workshop on Data Mining Applications in Sustainability, 2011. PDF
- DRED (Dutch Residential Energy Dataset) is the first open-access, publicly available dataset from The Netherlands. The data set live deployment consists of several sensors measuring electricity, occupants occupancy and ambient parameters in a household.
- Solar Panel Energy Generation dataset contains voltage, current, power, energy, and weather data from low-voltage substations and domestic premises with high uptake of solar photovoltaic (PV) embedded generation.
- Open datasets & methodologies for carbon emissions from different activities. Forked from OpenAMEE, and npm installable
- List of API energy related link
- Programmable web list on solar-related APIs
- SEG - Smart Export Guarantee is the new way for small generation to have a feed-in tariff, starting after the old one dies on March 31st 2019. Some useful notes from the Energyst
- Low carbon and renewable energy economy, UK: 2017 Final results from the Low Carbon and Renewable Energy Survey on the low carbon and renewable energy economy, 31.1.19
- How AI will affect the future of energy and climate change
- machine learning can boost the value of wind energy, from a Google company
- the case for static storage: how Tesla big battery in Australia provided a millisecond response to adjust frequency when a coal plant stopped working
- AEMO and ARENA build a 200MW battery for extreme peaks, twice the size of the Tesla big battery
- IPCC (intergovernmental panel on climate change) report on 1.5C released in early October 2018: link this is the badass doc that worked as wake up call for loads of people
- NASA I love you :heart:
- Status of nuclear fusion in Sept 18 link
- Pandora’s box! So much content here, loads of innovation projects and reports in a single place link very interesting sections: low carbon London and smarter network storage in the large scale projects section
- Electricity System Operator UK national grid eso another website full of content, innovation, fundings, etc. mainly from the TSO point of view
- An algorithm for electrical grid mapping by Facebook based on image analysis and a modified Dijkstra algorithm
- Data Communication Company has built and maintained the secure national infrastructure that underpins the roll-out of smart meters across Great Britain.
- a very close look at carbon capture, new materials that could make it very efficient and feasible
- the traveller’s guide to carbon offsetting your flights
- The Smart Cities Information System (SCIS) is a knowledge platform to exchange data, experience and know-how and to collaborate on the creation of smart cities. List of demonstration projects, and some projects funded:
- SMARTER TOGETHER is a joint project that aims to improve citizen’s quality of life in nowadays transforming cities.
- SmartEnCity aim to develop strategies that can be replicated throughout Europe in order to: Reduce energy demand and Maximise renewable energy supply
- Replicate Renaissance of Places with Innovative Citizenship and Technology
- OrbEEt framework will continuously capture and analyse real time building information from low-cost, off-the-shelf non-intrusive sensors and convert this into meaningful real-time energy rating information
- DR-BOB Demand Response energy management solution optimises the local energy production, consumption and storage in real time.
- Renewable energy hub UK big marketplace for installers and generation devices
- Microsoft announced that in early 2020 it will open an AI Centre of Excellence for Energy in the United Arab Emirates – a global first for the company – to empower organisations in the industry in accelerating digital transformation, equipping the workforce with AI skills, as well as collaborating on coalitions to address sustainability and safety challenges.
- SAVE is a five-year trial across 4,000 homes in the Solent region called SAVE, which tried a range of mechanisms to see how households could provide demand reduction and response. From the Energyst
- energy flows if you have to impress people using Sankey charts - Lawrence Livermore (world, but mainly updated for US) link
- BEIS energy trends link
- Electric vehicle footprint link, this is fun. Basically: buy a Prius instead of a Tesla
- EV footprint depends on the grid producing the li-ion battery
- Distributed energy resources and blockchain, Berkeley study linked from this article
- From BEIS, 8.8.18 “smart meters is the way to go” link
- FTSE4good Luxottica is mentioned here link
- about better futures accelerator (see money & business section above) link
- McKinsey report on changing utility landscape link
- Happening in Germany link and the e-on / Microsoft joint venture for energy monitoring dashboards
- Lists of startup to watch quartz wired techworld
- Breakthrough energy Europe announcement and breakdown of greenhouse gas source emissions link on Gates notes
Storage technology and business
Technologies, efficiency, ripple effects, climate change, everything else
- solar panel efficency 1 2
- a good post on medium detailing solar efficiency and costs
- NREL PVWatts calculator with publications on model
- How to get solar radiation and climate data (precipitaton, temperature, wind, insolation…) anywhere in the world free from NASA database