Companies / Consultancies / Startups / Organisations
these are companies and organisations making a living with the green / sustainable / climate change / etc. business that don’t have a specific software or hardware product.
- Elli is the “Electricity Life” brand owned by VW group, announcing their intention to become a power supplier
- GRESB mh, not sure this is a corp, or an org, their mission is to enhance and protect shareholder value by assessing and empowering sustainability practices in the real asset sector. Providing environmental, social and governance (ESG) performance on assets. (mentioned in Fabriq newsletter)
- Metabolic did the Smart Integrated Decentralised Energy (SIDE) systems research published by world economic forum
- Spectral a metabolic spin-off (nice domain), worth watching what they do link on Youtube they should also have an energy monitoring platform a bit like Fabriq but not sure it’s PaaS
- Carbon lighthouse US based Commercial solar consultancy
- kwhanalytics Investment risk management in solar, a platform
- Lumenaza software company for energy flow
- Energy Market Price software and bespoke solutions for industrial / consultants / suppliers who need to track energy price (e.g. a dashboard for EDF)
- Engadged Tracking a new approach to sustainable and ESG investing, ranking the world’s largest listed companies according to their Scope 1, 2 and 3 greenhouse gas emissions each year.
- Carbon Delta funded by climate-kic, companies carbon footprint monitoring / environmental fintech
- Energy way is an Italy based consultancy, my friend Rita Cucchiara in the advisory board
- Brixton energy a tiny cooperative installing renewables in south london, I’m sure there’s plenty but hey, I’m a Londoner :joy:
- CoEnergy by Andre Pinho who’s involved in Brixton energy as well, wants to simplify community energy schemas for both investment and management
- Repowering London is a not-for-profit organisation that specialises in facilitating the co-production of community-owned renewable energy projects. Affiliated with CoEnergy.
- Eco Energi UK based service provider / consultancy for transition to sustainable, mainly residential
- Pexapark is a Zurich based consultancy specialised in PPA deals
- Nispera renewable portfolio performance monitoring, asset management, weather forecast for power, bespoke solutions
- Digital Engineering data analytics services for assets monitoring and forecasting, based in Bristol
- Kyos asset management and optimisation, energy market analytics
- Inspired Energy Manchester based, super big company providing all sorts of professional services for energy distributors, businesses etc.
- D2H engineering consultancy company in Indianapolis and UK, several projects in energy including a battery model
- Climate.Careers - job board: a social enterprise that exists to help people align their careers with solving climate change
- Carbon Smart help businesses take the sustainability steps that make sense to them
- Carbon limiting technologies works with industry and government to commercialise low carbon innovations and accelerate clean growth
- Emrgnt is a startup developing batteries and renewable projects for landlords, they are probably both product and consultancy, a bit like Spectral (above), founder Reg Platt
- Open Grid Systems Ltd. is a software and consultancy company providing services to the electrical power industry focussed on model-driven software engineering, open standards and cutting-edge technologies.
- EnergySage is on a mission to make going solar as easy as booking a flight online. Funded by Clean energy ventures (see business section)
- Better Buildings Partnership is a collaboration of the uk’s leading commercial property owners who are working together to improve the sustainability of existing commercial building stock.
- Joule Assets empower communities to access cleaner and cheaper energy through an investment platform aimed at implementing clean energy solutions
- Element Energy is a team of experts based in Cambridge, London, York and Lille who specialise in the intelligent analysis of low carbon energy.
- Masdar, or Abu Dhabi Future Energy Company, is a global leader in renewable energy and sustainable urban development. Masdar means ‘source’ in Arabic. - related article: How green can a building be?
- GridBeyond enables participation in Demand Side Response, including grid revenue programmes and enhanced energy savings through peak avoidance and trading. Winners of BusinessGreen Tech Awards 2019 in the Smart Grid category
- Energy Managers Association aims to: Improve the standing of the Energy Management profession and those working within it, Establish best-practice in Energy Management, Put Energy Management at the heart of British business
- Bloomberg NEF “new energy finance” is the branch of Bloomberg specialised in consultancies around the energy sector, this was a company founded by Michael Liebreich in 2004 and acquired by Bloomberg in 2009
- Business green uk based media and events in the cleantech world
- The Energyst magazine featuring latest energy technology and strategies along with articles on legislative and policy changes.
- Greenbiz Media company interesting article about long-term sustainability of solar panel recycling
NGO / Organisations / activism
bit of a bodged together category that wraps initiatives and “no-profit”
- Green Finance Index an initiative sponsored by the MAVA Foundation, and delivered by Finance Watch and Long Finance, that seeks to encourage financial centres to become greener and develop financial services in a way that enables society to live within planetary boundaries.
- The European Energy Centre is an Independent Educational Body for the Renewable Energy and Energy Efficiency Sectors. Awards the Galileo Master Certificate energy qualification
- The Smart Electric Power Alliance (SEPA) is a US non-profit organization dedicated to working with electric power stakeholders through the most pressing issues affecting the growth and utilization of smart energy.
- IEA Founded in 1974, the IEA was initially designed to help countries co-ordinate a collective response to major disruptions in the supply of oil, such as the crisis of 1973/4. While this remains a key aspect of its work, the IEA has evolved and expanded significantly.
- UNFCCC United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change organises the Conference of Parties, organised the COP24 event in Katowice, Poland Dec ‘18
- The climate group an international non-profit, founded in 2004, with offices in London, New Delhi and New York.
- Carbon Trust an independent, expert partner of leading organisations around the world, helping them contribute to and benefit from a more sustainable future.
- CDP is a not-for-profit charity that runs the global disclosure system for investors, companies, cities, states and regions to manage their environmental impacts
- Mission Innovation 24 government consortium, recently presented the SGIA accelerator, ties with B-T ventures
- Ofgem gas & electricity market authority
- Ashden organisation with award and funding, check the eligibility criteria
- Action sustainability
- supporting nuclear environmental progress, really good newsletter, the guy writes on Forbes
- UK100 clean communities
- Royal Society
- Client earth- check their survey UK 20.8.18 supporting urgent action on climate change: link linked from link
- go low carbon contest link
- Michael Liebreich foundation gives small grants for climate & environment projects among other things
- Carbon culture community platform that is designed to help people use resources more efficiently. Doesn’t seem super active.
- NIPCC basically the climate change “negationist”, a panel of nongovernment scientists and scholars who have come together to present an assessment of the science and economics of global warming.
- 350 is an international movement of ordinary people working to end the age of fossil fuels and build a world of community-led renewable energy for all.
- Community Energy England (CEE) is a not for profit organisation that represents and supports those committed to the community energy sector. They run a hub with a list of supported projects
- Wolverton Community Energy are a registered society, owned and run by members. Working with individuals and businesses in Wolverton and the wider Milton Keynes area to help them become more energy efficient
- CfR is an asset locked community interest company (CIC). Surplus profit is re-invested in supporting further community energy initiatives. CfR is an active member of Community Energy England and Regen.
- PowerPaired is a matchmaking service for community energy groups and the owners of sites with renewable energy potential, in the news
- Climate neutral now carbon offset platform by United Nations UNFCCC
- Mossy earth tree planting
- Choose today UN-verified CO2-reducing projects in developing countries
- Offset earth funds for tree planting foundations
- Trillion trees campaign tree planting
- Atmosfair a non-profit climate protection organisation with a focus on travel. We actively protect the climate by compensating greenhouse gases through the use of renewable energies, among other activities.
- Nori is a marketplace that wants to create a new way for anyone in the world to pay to remove excess carbon dioxide from the atmosphere.
Meteo / Power forecast
- Meteomatics specializes on the specific needs of the weather sector, energy and trading sectors
- Energy weather Germany based
- Watt sight Norway based, meteo and trading forecast
- European power forecasting probably a sister company of Digital Engineering mentioned above, Bristol based (same office), focusing on the power forecasting side
- Conwx high-resolution historical weather data and forecast for power / TSOs / asset management
- Sentinel weather
- the eco experts for PV + battery installations. (Tried to make an enquiry but they’re just a call centre forwarding the contact to an installer, they wouldn’t even send the contact through without installation permission approval from the landlord. Been recommended to check on their website who can install in the area and contact them directly)
- Labrador like uswitch, has an option for green sources
Bunch of companies trading and distributing energy, having a special focus on sustainable / renewable, demand side response and the likes
- Amp Energy Canadian, assets behind and in front of the meter, backers of Faraday Grid (see above)
- Smartest Energy they have an interesting periodic report in mailing list
- Smarter business energy broker for business
- Tonik UK utility with 100% renewable electricity, 10% green gas and 90% carbon offset
- Octopus London based aggregator, green easy to switch energy, there is probably a link with reactive-technologies that I haven’t understood
- Trust power another solar / wind energy company to be launched soon
- OVO energy provider pledging to provide sustainable power and smart devices for heating optimisation, monitoring, etc.
- the new green aggregator jungle: check bulb, good energy, green star energy, solarplicity, so energy, outfox the market, pureplanet, tonic, co-operative, …
- EDF DSR has a solution for demand side response
- Limejump - Assets managers / demand side response platform / battery and other devices
- Flexitricity direct Limejump competitors, monetise energy flexibility. I.e. an energy company that enables the balancing mechanism (check this link on elexon)
- Ecotricity founder Dale Vince on wiki is worth checking out