Business & Money
Business hubs / accelerators / funds / etc
VC & funds
- Bill Gates & Friends $1B Breakthrough Energy fund, check the landscape section for ideas. Part of the money is trickling down to Europe
- EnBW new ventures 100M fund
- Mayor of London energy efficiency fund (MEEF) link
- wunder capital Investment fund specialised in cleantech
- Kleiner Perkins Caufield & Byers is regarded as one of the prominent VC in cleanTech, albeit going through some troubles, according to Reuters
- National grid announced 250M fund link
- EIT InnoEnergy investment fund open fund (no deadline) by InnoEnergy for sustainable energy across Europe supported by the European Institute of Innovation and Technology.
- BP Ventures setup in 2009 to identify and invest in private, high growth, game-changing technology companies, accelerating innovation across the entire energy spectrum
- national grid partners is the utility industry’s first Silicon Valley-based VC & innovation firm. NGP invests in the potential of energy with a provocative vision to define a smarter and more renewable energy future.
- Energy Impact partners invest in companies shaping the energy landscape of the future
- Shell Ventures targets startups and Small & Medium Enterprises (SMEs) from their early stages to their scale and growth phases. It makes minority investments that help to develop new technologies or disruptive business models in areas of strategic interest to Shell’s businesses.
- Clean Energy Venture Group is an investment group with offices in Boston and New York which provides seed capital and management expertise to early stage clean energy companies. In the news Boston’s Clean Energy Ventures (CEV) has closed its first fund for $110 million.
- Piva announced the launch of its inaugural $250 million fund with the mission of ushering in “a new era of industry and energy.” - from Crunchbase
- Green Angel Syndicate is an angel investment syndicate that focuses on companies in the energy, sustainable transport, water, smart cities and wider green economy sectors that, if not actually generating revenue, are on the cusp of doing so.
Accelerators / Incubators
- Clean and cool not properly accelerator program, probably more a networking series of events
- EIC climate kic the program on climate change run by the European Institute of Innovation & Technology loads of startups
- Sustainable accelerator, London based, they also have a fund on seedrs. I think they back PowerVault
- Sustainable bridges / Workspaces it’s the shared space where the accelerator operates (I think, will pay a visit soon)
- Seed and co-working in Oakland, CA link
- Hawaii / California / Pacific accelerator Elemental last cohort started oct 18
- List of accelerators and incubators, in theory in cleantech but covering all sorts link
- Generic list of accelerators in London link
- Digital Catapult there’s also the energy catapult, check the link
- R/GA they’re in the IoT sector, possibly green
- Google for Startups Accelerator focused on sustainable development goals. Geared toward social impact startups working to create a healthier and more sustainable future, launching early 2020
- Startmate climate cohort, based in Sydney + Melbourne, an expansion of their regular acceleration program to support climate change initiatives
- BCG DV In 2019-2020 we are piloting a new Program for Social Ventures. We are looking for motivated teams that want to build and grow their social initiative with our help over a three-month period at our Berlin office.
- Through Incubatenergy Labs, EPRI and a group of leading utilities are engaging early stage companies to demonstrate and deploy innovative solutions in targeted areas.
Public Funding & Grant opportunities
These are mainly in the UK, by no means providing extensive global coverage
- Better Future EU regional development fund
- Optimise Prime by NIC / Ofgem link data for EV referenced on Wired
- BEIS industrial energy efficiency accelerator Department of Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy’s £9.2 million fund
- List of Government funding for innovation in smart energy systems and technologies with references to Power Forward Challenge, Flex, etc.
- Power Forward Challenge, deadline March 15th 2019
- Flex Competition deadline April 18th 2019
- Innovate UK Smart Grants a share of up to £25 million to deliver ambitious or disruptive R&D innovations with significant potential for impact on the UK economy. Deadline 24th July 2019
- Gov.UK Call for new green innovations to tackle climate change £60M fund announced during green GB week, mid oct 18. Section “Constructing a Digital Environment” might be of interest, competitions to be published here
- gov.uk prospering from energy revolution, competition closed July 2018
- BEIS / Gov.uk list of all financing opportunities
- gov.uk competitions in energy (change keyword to search for related)
- SBRI: modernising energy data access and information, phase 1
- Funding and Tender opportunities with the European Commission,
- Energy Catalyst programme opportunities for UK businesses to accelerate their growth and tackle the challenge of access to energy.
- Innovate UK Smart Grants: January 2020
Startup competitions and events
- Norrsken Impact the biggest prize for impact startups in the Nordics
- Singapore Slingshot
- New energy challenge
- The Zayed Sustainability Prize, an evolution of the Zayed Future Energy Prize, is the UAE’s pioneering global award in sustainability
as in: giving money to fund projects, not receiving money
- Fundeen is a FinTech platform that allows citizens of Spain to invest in environmentally sustainable projects and receive benefits from their investments.
- Triodos opportunities to invest in organisations committed to delivering positive change.
- Citizenergy.eu born out of the motivation to promote the decentralised and democratic financing of a better energy future by supporting sustainable energy crowdfunding platforms and energy cooperatives.
- Energy4impact access to energy in Africa
- Major crowdfunding platforms Crowdcube and Startengine have dedicated sections
- Also worth searching for green banks, like Connecticut green bank
- Project Wren backed by YCombinator, app to fund carbon negative projects, also has a carbon emission calculator
- Trine, Sweden based, makes it easy for people to invest in solar energy in growing markets. Their mission is to give people a triple return on investment
- Switchr business model is to buy and optimize solar-plants with strict investment criteria where they see the greatest potential for increased performance.
- Abundance Investment creating ways for everyone to invest in green and social infrastructure
- Goclimateneutral invests in carbon negative projects by taking recurring payments from donors. Also has a business footprint calculator